Sunday, May 31, 2009

New Painting



"Passages", acrylic on gallery canvas, 40" X 30".

Comparing acrylic and oil paints is like comparing your children - you love them both for their unique qualities.

Having recently gotten back to working with oil paint, using cold wax on cradled panels, I thought I would use similar techniques using acrylic paint and gel medium on a large canvas. The biggest difference I found was that the acrylic was more 'slippery' than the oil and wax. Also, I was a little more gentle working on the canvas than I would have on a cradled panel. All in all, though, I was fairly pleased with the result.

This piece will be showing in the 7th annual juried exhibition "Portals" at the John M Parrott Art Gallery in Belleville from June 4 to July 16. Opening Reception is June 4, 6 - 7:30.

No comments: